Update for research project "Hereditary eye diseases in Nordic dog breeds"
The research project "Hereditary eye diseases in Nordic dog breeds" in cooperation with the Institute for Animal Breeding and Genetics of the University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover and the Cosmo Art & Science Foundation publish:
Status quo of the project – cornerstones (May 2014)
1. Nine dog breeding clubs take part in this project. Following dog breeds are included in the project: Akita Inu, Lagotto Romagnolo, Lhasa Apso, Lundehund, Polski Owczarek Nizinny (PON), Polski Owczarek Podhalanski (OP), Samojede, Shiba Inu, Siberian Husky and Tibet Terrier.
2. The data base for the analysis is the ophthalmological reports and diagnoses, which were compiled by the DOK in line with the European eye panels and the data from the breed registry. The focus is on distichiasis and not on not-congenital hereditary cataracts.
3. Until now 225 dogs were genotyped with the Canine Illumina High Density Beadchip.
4. The collection of samples is continued as more data and samples from Nordic dog races shall be collected.
5. After the first evaluation of the genome-wide association analysis a continuance of the project is promising.
6. The preparations for further genotypes and re-sequences from a complete dog genome are initiated.
- Published: June 2, 2014